At Wilton Primary Academy, we aim to foster a healthy curiosity about our universe and natural phenomena, and promote respect for the living and non-living. Pupils are taught essential aspects of the knowledge, methods, processes and uses of science, enabling them to solve problems and report scientific findings through practical experiences. We develop an understanding of how science has changed our lives and is vital to the world’s sustainability. We categorise working scientifically as Identifying, Classifying Grouping, Observing Over Time, Pattern Seeking, Research using secondary sources and Comparative and Fair Testing. Through a hand son approach to the science curriulum, we encourage knowledgeable and curious young scientists who are keen to ask questions, and explore and investigate the world around them.
- Science is taught based on the National Curriculum for Years 1 to 6 and the EYFS Curriculum Framework
- Working scientifically is at the heart of the science curriculum. Children learn to use a variety of approaches to answer relevant scientific questions. In every year group children will use the 5 types of scientific enquiry;: observing over time; pattern seeking; identifying, classifying and grouping; comparative and fair testing and researching using secondary sources
- Scientific language is taught and built upon as topics are revisited in different year groups and across key stages.
- A carefully planned whole school progression of scientific knowledge ensures children have and the opportunity to revisit and remember previous learning in order to develop an understanding of the world around them.
- Working scientifically skills are mapped across the phases to ensure a logical progression and cumulatively built procedural knowledge
- Knowledge organisers outline the key new knowledge for each unit and the prior knowledge needed for pupils to make meaningful connections to new learning
The framework for Working Scientifically in Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 is set out within the Science Knowledge Sequencing Document available in the academy.